Thursday, August 11, 2005

If I could speak, it would go something like this:

I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that people are so close-minded and ignorant, so scared, so easily intimidated by the fact that you're so young and so brilliant. I'm sorry they're so insecure that they're trying to run you off the campus and out of town, not even a year after you bought a house here. I'm sorry they won't let you do your job without questioning you every step of the way. I'm sorry they're so shallow that they won't even recognize the fact that you are the best thing that's happened to this campus in years.

I never realized the insane campus politics until last fall, and I don't know if it was because I was just oblivious, or didn't care, since it didn't affect any of my favourite people.

But now, now I know, and I hate it. I hate it because it's turning your life into a horrible caricature of what your life should be. I hate it because you're paler and paler each time I see you. I hate it because it robs you of your sleep and your quirky sense of humour. I hate it because it makes your eyes sad and tired. I HATE IT.

No comments: