Thursday, February 03, 2005

so the other day, I was...um, I dunno...

One of the worst side-effects of mono (ding-ding!) is the forgetfulness. NOBODY WARNED ME ABOUT THE FORGETFULNESS. I knew I'd be tired, duh. I knew I'd be going around kissing everyone to infect THEM, TOO. duh. But the forgetfulness? I didn't see it coming (at least, if I did, I can't remember).

Last week, I was scurrying around the room in the morning, getting ready for class. I put on my socks, went to the closet for my shoes, and they weren't there. I looked under the desk -- not there, either. Now, this is a small room. There aren't many places a pair of shoes could hide. And besides, I wear them ALL THE TIME. I tried to remember what I'd done the night before (roomie: Did you leave them in the bathroom?): checked my e-mail in the computer lab; taken a shower. I didn't check in the bathroom, because I wear my flip-flops in the shower. I went down the four flights of stairs to the computer lab, and there were my shoes, snuggled up together under the big table. I'm so glad they were there -- but I just couldn't understand how I'd worn them to the computer lab, and then left them there, dodging puddles of water on the tile steps and getting my socks wet, still, as I went back to my room that night.

A day later, I went to take my shower, and had to go back to the room 3 times for things I'd forgotten -- each time, taking only one thing. First it was the flip-flops, then it was my towel, then it was clothes...

I woke up today, climbed down out of bed, and my roommate was playing with her laptop, then looked up at me. "Hey, Dänika, did you leave your pants in the bathroom last night?"
"[imparting my frustration at the realization that I must have. OF COURSE. Who else on my floor would walk off without her pants!?!*] YES."
"They're still there."
"Still on the floor?"
"No, someone picked them up and put them on the table."

A few minutes later, I went to take my shower, sure I had everything (I'd even remembered my deodorant and lotion!). Washcloth, soap, shampoo, handtowel, razor, facewash, clothes...I stepped out of the shower to find that I HAD NO TOWEL. Have you ever dried off with a small handtowel and toilet paper? It takes FOREVER.


* note: I wasn't naked; I'd changed into my pajama pants in the bathroom. Just so you know.

11 comments:

kate said...

I feel for you, girl...I really do. I'm forgetful enough as it is. It's hard, too, when you have to bring your stuff back and forth at school - can't just leave your shampoo and razor in the shower. Well, I suppose you could try... ;-)

Vanderganes said...

Heh, when we were in Arkansas for Brian and Abbey's wedding, I somehow neglected a towel on the trip to the showers one morning and dried off with the pair of jeans I'd been wearing. Heh. (What can I say, it ain't all good looks. ;p)

dänika said...

heheh, Kate, I've tried. Not on purpose, either. ;)

lol, Cassie. Last night, I had to dry my face on my camisole/shirty thing. Towels are underrated. I love towels.

Vanderganes said...

I'm not Cassie, heh.

dänika said...

MARKY! Duh! the "heh" and ";P" should've been major tip-offs. :P

Sarah said...

at least the girls in your dorm aren't evil towel snatchers... Oh some of the pranks I beheld...

NOBODY should mess with somebody's towel.

(it's almost as bad as stealing cheese, but then that's another story...)

At least mono is temporary, Darling - you don't suffer from the world's youngest undocumented case of Alzheimer's, as somebody I see in the mirror every day does! ;-p

Anonymous said...

you wear sandals IN the shower? WHat's wrong with letting your bare feet actually touch the floor?

heh, I know the feeling of drying off with a little handtowel, or worse a WASHCLOTH, because I forgot my big jumbo towel with the hood on it.

-court

kate said...

Sandals are a must when many people use the shower.

Ickies, Court, ickies!

dänika said...

Towel-snatchers!? Horrifying. Maybe the girls on my floor are too nice...or it's just because they don't know me yet. Or maybe it's just wacky Moody alumns who do that, Sar. heh. heh. :D

Kate's right -- too many feet use that shower. Icky. I don't want to catch athlete's foot or anything...and just thinking of all the bacteria in that shower freaks me out. TO THE MAX.

Anonymous said...

Oh right... I didn't really realize that it was a shared shower with the floor... for some reason I was thinking hotel room style, with a little shower just off the room... but I realize that's too luxurious for college students.

Heh, I did forget anything like that at Summit though.

-court

dänika said...

I think my feet were naked in the summit showers. I didn't even realize that until now. EW. Well, my feet are fine...maybe since it was a Christian Shower, there wasn't any bad bacteria. ;P