Saturday, May 20, 2006

...and yet HE's the one graduating today...

...and yet HE's the one graduating today...

There are some times I look at certain words, and wonder who decided that it should be spelled the way it is. I was writing my Chaucer final two days ago (10 one-page essays and one 7-page essay) and was putting down my thoughts regarding the similarities and differences between "The Nun's Priest's Tale" and "The Canon's Yeoman's Tale," when I tried to incorporate the word meaning "fire-filled" or "really really excruciatingly hot," I spelled it "Firey." Like a fire. Firey. But wait! That didn't look right. Oh. FiEry.

Four. Forty. Ugh!

I mentioned this to John.
"I have problems spelling the word 'fiery.'"
"f-i-r-e-y."
"AHA! But it isn't. It's 'f-i-e-r-y,' which totally doesn't make any sense. It's like the word 'forty'! We have four, f-o-u-r, and then forty, spelled f-o-r-t-y."
"It is?!"
"..."



Congratulations on graduating today, John. I'm proud of you for making it this far writing 'fourty' and 'firey' !!

No comments: